Infusing positivity into your life does not have to be a long, arduous process. In fact, according to world-renowned happiness expert, Shawn Achor, all it takes is 2 minutes every day.
Two minutes a day.
That’s how long Shawn Achor—called “one of the world’s leading experts on human potential” by The Huffington Post founder Ariana Huffington—says it takes to increase your level of happiness.
“Scientifically, happiness is a choice,” Achor says.
Achor practices these two steps to train his brain to become more positive:
- Watch your breath go in and out. Research has shown that focusing on that single task can decrease stress levels and the stress levels of those around you.
- Write down or say aloud three specific new things you are grateful for—and why. In time you become more adept at scanning the world for positives, rather than scanning for threats.
Practicing simple happiness exercises can start to rewire your brain in three weeks. Other happiness-building strategies Achor regularly recommends:
- Do 15 minutes of a fun cardio activity, such as walking the dog or gardening.
- Spend a couple of minutes writing down every detail of a positive experience from the past 24 hours, deepening the experience’s impact.
- Start each day by sending a short email or text praising someone you know.
- Spend meaningful time with family and friends.
Says Achor: “My happiness is something I have to work on forever. These exercises are all simple but powerful.”
Printed as “Shawn Achor: Choosing Happiness”, Summer 2019
via hopetocope.com | Hope To Cope With Anxiety & Depression
(This and our other articles are provided by some of our curated resources. We encourage readers to support them and continue to look to these sources in times of need and opportunity.)